The course consists of a series of lectures and hands-on exercises on skin and eye irritation. It is taught by experts in three areas of in vitro toxicology, namely regulatory in vitro toxicology, screening in vitro toxicology and investigative in vitro toxicology.
- European legislative framework and international guidelines for in vitro toxicity testing of chemicals.
- Use and validation of 3R-alternative methods in Europe and the USA.
- In vitro methods for assessing cytotoxicity, skin sensitization, skin/eye irritation/corrosion, immunotoxicity, genotoxicity, carcinogenicity and reproductive toxicity.
- Development and application of cell lines, organ-specific models, tridimensional and reconstructed models, bioreactors and stem cell models in in vitro toxicology.
- Use of “omics”-based methods in in vitro toxicology.
- Good cell culture practice.
- In vitro kinetics and in vitro–in vivo extrapolation.
- In vitro aspects of pathway-based toxicology.
- Non-animal testing technologies and strategies used for chemical hazard and risk assessment in Europe and the USA.
- Hands-on training on skin and eye irritation testing in vitro.
Course programme is displayed here.